Week 1 Reflection- EDLD 5364:
As I read and listened to the videos concerning the three learning theories I realized that I am more of a believer in constructivism. “Learners bring unique prior knowledge, experience, and beliefs to a learning situation. Every learner has experiences that influence his or her understanding of the world.” (Southwest Educational Development Laboratory, 1999). I truly believe that our students learn and retain what they do because of their experiences in and out of school. Technology allows teachers to give students the experiences and knowledge they may lack. Virtual field trips and animated books bring a whole new world to some of our students. “Good teachers have always used experience as a valuable instructional tool; that is why we arrange field trips and hands-on projects" (Southwest Educational Developmental Laboratory, 1999).
Although, I believe I lean more towards the constructivism view point I can also understand the point of view of connectivism. I agree with the fact that the knowledge that our students are learning regarding technology may be obsolete in a few years, but the knowledge that they learn by using the technology will not be. We are raising a generation of learners that must continue to learn as the times change. The only difference I see in this generation of learners and past generation of learners is that the changes happen at a faster speed. In my opinion, as I watched and learned about the cyborg theory of learning I felt as though I was watching a science fiction movie. I have not caught on to the theory of chips being implanted that allows for greater communication. I know technology is evolving, but cyborg theory seems very science fiction.
Learning, no matter what theory you believe is evolving. Teachers and now students alike must be willing to learn and change with the times.
Southwest Educational Developmental Laboratory, (1999). Learning as a personal event: A brief introduction to constructivism. Retrieved on February 21st, 2011, from Http://www.sedl.org/pubs/tec26/intro2c.html
Thursday, February 24, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment